Michigan Small Business Restart Program Applications Now Closed
6 Aug 2020
Applications for the Michigan Small Business Restart Program are now closed as of 11:59 PM on August 5, 2020.
Saginaw Future will be distributing $3,545,455 and the Middle Michigan Development Corporation will be distributing $3.5 million to Arenac, Bay, Clare, Gladwin, Gratiot, Isabella, Midland and Saginaw Counties in Region 5.
Each county will have the opportunity to assemble a local county review committee for relief applications. The size of the committees will vary and may be composed of both public and private economic development partners. Collaborative partners may include but are not limited to local economic development organizations, municipalities, counties, Downtown Development Authorities, chambers of commerce, minority associations and chambers, local banks and finance professionals, and community foundations.
- Applications will be selected by 8/30
- Notification to Awardees begin 9/1 and completed by 9/30
- Disbursement of awards begin 9/1 and completed by 12/30
- The Michigan Economic Development Corporation and Saginaw Future Inc. will announce the awardees no later than September 30, 2020
- For more information email tmiller@SaginawFuture.com
Scoring Criteria Examples
- Business zip code
- For-Profit vs. Non-Profit
- Franchise vs. non-franchise
- Number of current employees
- Employees retained
- Small businesses with less than 50 employees
- Number of years in business
In an effort to continue to support small businesses, the Michigan Small Business Restart Program will provide funding to local economic development organizations (EDOs) who will provide grants to eligible small businesses that have been negatively impacted by COVID-19 and need working capital to support payroll expenses, rent, mortgage payments, utility expenses or other similar expenses.
Businesses and nonprofits with 50 or fewer employees, worldwide, located in Michigan. Businesses must also demonstrate the following:
- Part of an industry or nonprofit that can demonstrate it has been impacted by the COVID-19 emergency
- Needs working capital to support payroll expenses, rent, mortgage payments, utility expenses or other similar expenses
- Demonstrates an income loss as result of the COVID-19 emergency as determined by the Michigan Strategic Fund (MSF).
Additionally, at least 30 percent of the funds awarded under this program will be provided to women-owned, minority-owned or veteran-owned eligible businesses. The MEDC anticipates that more than 5,000 businesses across the state will benefit from this program.
Applications for the Michigan Small Business Restart Program through the Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC) were open from July 15, 2020 through August 5, 2020. Applicants could apply for up to $20,000 in grant funds. Every business was required to apply through the statewide portal, regardless of prior grant applications submitted.
Contacts by County
Arenac County - Stephanie Buffman, 989-846-2111, sbuffman@michworks4u
Bay County - Trevor Keyes, 989-892-1400, TKeyes@BayFuture.com
Clare County - Pam O’Laughlin, 989-772-2858, email@example.com
Gladwin County - Bob Balzer, 989-426-8571, firstname.lastname@example.org
Gratiot County - Jim Wheeler, 989-875-2083, email@example.com
Isabella County - James McBryde, 989-772-2858, firstname.lastname@example.org
Midland County - Nicole Wilson, 989-839-9522, email@example.com
Saginaw County - Tom Miller Jr., 989-757-2108, tmiller@SaginawFuture.com