Birch Run Township was first organized in 1853 and held it's first Annual Meeting of the Electors on April 4, 1853. At that meeting Joseph Matheson was elected the first supervisor with 18 votes to 17 for Proctor Williams (at whose house the initial election was held); Calvin Silvernail was elected the first clerk with 21 votes to 14 for Elisha Marvin; Hirum Brown was elected treasurer with 19 votes to 16 votes for Elisha Marvin. The town was named after it’s creek, which runs thru a large birch tree area. In 1863, the town was renamed Deer Lick and remained so until 1868 when it reverted back to Birch Run.
The total area of Birch Run Township is approximately 36.5 square miles of all land. As of the 2010 census 6,033 residents live within Birch Run Township. The Township also includes the Village of Birch Run (incorporated in 1955 and encompassing 1.89 square miles) with 1,555 of the residents living there.
The Birch Run Area School District serves the majority of the Township's students, with approximately 8.5 square miles being served by the Frankenmuth School District and roughly a third square mile being covered by the Clio Area School District.